Here's a list of safety tips from the Contact Lens Council:
* Visit a reputable eye care professional for a complete eye examination every 12 months or more frequently if directed by your eye care professional.
* Never swap contact lenses with another person.
* Don't wear lenses longer than prescribed, nor when sleeping unless otherwise directed.
* If eyes become red or irritated, remove the lenses immediately and consult your doctor. Don't try to brave the irritation.
* Replace contacts regularly because they wear out over time. Throw away disposable lenses after recommended wearing period.
* CRD: Cleanse, Rinse, Disinfect your lenses after removal and before wearing them again. Enzyme and cleaning solution can not substitute for disinfecting.
* Wash and rinse your hands before handling your lenses. A non-perfumed hand soap is recommended.
* Do not use saliva to clean your lenses.
* Never use non-sterile homemade saline, distilled water or tap water for any part of your lens care regimen.
* Know your solution. Solutions cannot always be mixed. Use products recommended by your doctor. Not all solutions can be used for all contact lenses.
* Solutions can become contaminated through contact with lenses. Do not let the bottle tip touch any surface including your contact lenses.
* Clean, rinse and air-dry your lens case each time lenses are removed. Contact lens cases can be a source of bacteria growth.